Hair salon owners sometimes have a hard time with marketing. It can be difficult to find the balance between reaching new clients and maintaining a relationship with existing clients. In addition, the easiest way to reach new clients is by offering some sort of discount, but by doing so, some argue that you’re cheapening your services to the point where customers expect a discount every time. The key to effective marketing for a service industry like a salon is to be authentic and original. Here are some great ideas that can help improve both new client reach and current client retention.
- Current Customer Reminders – Always recognize the lifetime value of clients. You want to keep them happy and coming back to you, and one of the best ways to do that is by reminding them when it’s time to come see you again. Don’t go overboard, as no one likes to be spammed by a company, but sending a friendly email reminder, phone call, or even a short text message reminding your customer when it’s time to come back will show that customer that you value his/her business.
- Referral Incentives – Your work should sell itself, so when you have a client who is thrilled with his/her cut, ask for referrals. People are going to comment on the cut, so if your client tells friends and family about you, you’ve got lots of potential new clients! As a thank you, offer your client a discount or free upgrade at their next appointment. Word-of-mouth can work wonders for you if you take advantage of it! Print a vinyl banner to display in your store letting your clients know that you offer referral incentives.
- Gift Certificates and Coupons – Discounting isn’t a bad idea as long as you’re doing other things to reach clients as well. Offering a new client coupon is a great way to reach those who might not try your salon otherwise, and gift certificates are great for gift-givers such as spouses, business owners, charity organizations, etc. Use a vinyl decal in your storefront window to show customers that you have gift packages available.
- Makeover Events – Partnering with other local businesses that are in the health and beauty industry is a great way to build new business for your salon. Host a makeover party, and include your local fashion boutique, massage parlor, waxing salon, fitness spa, makeup studio, etc. An event like this is a fun and unique way to reach new clients who are looking for a full makeover, and it also helps you network with other businesses, which can be a great referral source as well.
- Social-Networking – This is a new method of reaching your customers, and so far it’s proven to be quite effective. Social media offers you a chance to connect with your customers one-on-one. It’s a great way to feature your best work to prospective clients, and you can also offer special deals and promote new products and services to your loyal fans and followers. By staying at the forefront of technology and your industry, you’re showing your clientele that you are relevant and current.
Any one of these techniques could be just what your salon needs at the moment. Try one, or try them all-some will be more effective than others, depending on your budget and how receptive your market is to promotion. Without trying something new, however, you’ll never know, so get started today!
Source by Michael K Allen